Study MBBS in Georgia (European Country)
Georgia is a beautiful country in the Caucasus region of Eurasia, located at the crossroads of Western Asia and Eastern Europe. Students from India and rest of the world study MBBS in Georgia to be a part of the European education system and be a successful MBBS doctor.
Georgia is a country in the Caucasus region of Europe. Located at the crossroads of Western Asia and Eastern Europe, it is bounded to the west by the Black Sea, to the north by Russia, to the south by Turkey and Armenia, and to the southeast by Azerbaijan. Georgia is a unitary, semi-presidential republic, with the government elected through a representative democracy. Students who look to study MBBS in Europe consider MBBS in Georgia as one of their main options. Read more about Georgia at Wikipedia.
Medical colleges and universities in Georgia work towards their international recognition and accreditation. Hence, there are many MCI approved and WHO recognised medical schools in Georgia. This is one of the reasons why students choose to study MBBS in Georgia over many other Eurasian countries such as Russia & Ukraine. Following are the other main benefits of studying MBBS in Georgia.
- Capital city: Tbilisi
- Currency: Georgian Lari (GEL) – Equivalent to ~28 Rupees
- Religion: Majority orthodox Christians (85%)
- Population: 3.7 Million (37 Lakhs) Approx.
- Georgian Embassy in India: In New Delhi
- Indian Embassy to Georgia: In the border country – Armenia
Benefits and Advantages of Studying MBBS in Georgia
Apart from being a beautiful country, Georgia provides various benefits to International students. Students from India and other countries come to Georgia to take medical education. These are some of the reasons why students prefer to study medical in Georgia.
- No Donations
- No Entrance Exam
- Scholarships for Excellent Students
- Degree Recognized All Over the World
- Good Climate throughout the year
- Affordable Fees & Low Living Cost
- Fully English Medium
- Highly Qualified Faculty
- Eligible for Education Loan
- Covered under ECTS & Bologna Process
- Student can work in any European Country
HIGH-QUALITY EDUCATION: Universities in Georgia offer significantly better education as compared to private medical schools in India. The focus is put on to inherit practical skills in the student. The students also get access to the latest & modern medical equipment. The good universities in Georgia follow the quality guidelines of the World Heath Organization. Hence, studying from a top-rated MBBS University in Georgia ensures success in the medical career or the students.
LOWER COST THAN INDIA & OTHER COUNTRIES: Studying MBBS in Georgia is a much cheaper option as compared to the Indian private medical schools. Indian medical schools also lack the practical experience. Hence, there is no point in paying huge donations to Indian medical schools. The overall fees vary across universities since some universities like European University offer a 5-year degree while the rest of them offer a 6-year degree.
Cost of living in Georgia is quite easy on pockets. The average food and living expenses are just around $250 per month i.e. Rs. 16000. Also, there is no donation to take admission in MBBS University in Georgia. So, Indian students can get best and cheap MBBS education from best universities in Georgia.
SAFE and SECURE COUNTRY: Georgia is an extremely safe and female dominating country. There is no crime and MBBS students from India can travel in buses, trains or cabs without worries. The majority of the population of Georgia practice Christianity and are God loving. Georgian people are also very welcoming and accept religious and cultural diversities.
EASY ADMISSION & ELIGIBILITY: Unlike India, the procedure to take admission in MBBS universities in Georgia is very easy. There are no entrance exams like NEET or USMLE. Students with 50% marks in PCB can also take admission in MBBS in Georgia. The universities focus on skill building and as long as the students have a reasonable understanding of the medical terms, they will blend with the course very well.
Climate in Tbilisi, Georgia
Tbilisi has a humid subtropical climate with warm to hot summers and relatively cold winters. The city receives enough rainfall to avoid the semi-arid classification. The city’s climate is influenced both by dry air masses from the east and oceanic air masses from the west.
The average annual temperature in Tbilisi is 12.7 °C (54.9 °F). January is the coldest month with an average temperature of 0.9 °C (33.6 °F). July is the hottest month with an average temperature of 24.4 °C (75.9 °F).
MCI Approved Medical Universities in Georgia
Medical Council of India (MCI) maintains a list of universities. Only students studying in these universities are eligible to take the MCI screening test. So, students are advised not to take admission for MBBS study in Georgia without checking the list on MCI website. Only the following universities in Georgia are approved by MCI of India for medical study abroad.
|2||Ivane Javakhashvili Tbilisi State University|
|3||“AIETI” Medical School|
|4||Akaki Tsereteli State University|
|5||Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University|
|6||David Agmashenebeli University of Georgia|
|7||New Vision University, Georgia|
|8||East European University|
|9||Georgian American University|
|10||Georgian National University|
Check the full list of 21 MCI approved universities in Georgia on this blog page.
The fees structure of all the universities is different. However, an average fee comes to around $5,000 USD per year.
The procedure to get admission in Georgia is pretty simple. However, it is a time-consuming task, and hence, students are advised to apply as early as possible to ensure that the admission process completes on time. Here are step-by-step details regarding the admission.
- Offer Letter: We send the student’s documents over to the university. The university then checks the documents and issues a Provisional Admission Letter within 3-5 working days. Some universities also call it an Offer Letter. The offer letter lists the basic details about the course, including the duration, fees structure and any special conditions.
- Ministry Approval: The student needs to pay Administrative Fees to the university. This fee is for getting the approval from Ministry of Education & Science (MES) and National Center for Educational Quality Enhancement (NCEQE), Georgia wherein documents are translated, notarized and submitted with the ministry. The approval from ministry grants the student a right to study in Georgia. It takes approximately 15-20 days.
- Visa Application: The university then issues an invitation letter on the basis of the order of Ministry of Education. Full visa application along with the invitation, payment of tuition fees & ministry order is then submitted with the Embassy of Georgia in India.
- Visa Approval: It takes about 20 days for the Embassy to review the visa application and issue a 90-day student visa (D3 category).
- Travel: The student can travel to Georgia after getting his/her visa and start studying in the chosen medical university in Georgia.
- Visa Extension: To extend the duration of stay, the student makes an application to the MIA, Georgia which grants a Temporary Residence Certificate (TRC) allowing the students the right to stay post expiry of visa.
Recommended Universities for MBBS Study in Georgia
|Course Duration||5 Years|
|Fees (yearly)||$4,500 USD|
3.06 Lakh per year (Approx.)
Note: University tuition fees needs to be paid in USD. The fees in Rupees (INR) may change slightly as per the current exchange rates.
Hostel facility in Georgia
We, at Worlin Education Services, take our commitments with an extreme importance. So, we run our own hostel facility to provide a good experience to the Indian students who come to study MBBS, MD or BDS in Georgia. The hostels are built with an Indian mindset. Here are some of the salient features of our hostel facility in Georgia
- Separate building for girls and boys.
- 100% Indian food, cooked by Indian cooks.
- Vegetarian food, and special non-vegetarian arrangement for students who are non-vegetarian.
- WiFi connectivity across the building.
- Fixed timings to ensure that students come back to the hostel after completing their university classes.
- Located at a very short distance from the European University.
Here’s a short video.
Note: This hostel is only for students who enroll through us. If you are enrolling through a different agent, then you should contact them about the kind of arrangement they have.
Comparison with Russia and Ukraine
Many agents are spreading false information about Georgia. This is because they do not have collaboration with MBBS universities in Georgia. Hence, they defame MBBS study in Georgia so that they can send the students to the Ukraine or Russia. However, by facts, Georgia is a much better destination for Medical Studies than Russia or Ukraine.
The majority of universities in Russia offer a bilingual medical course. However, their agents in India do not pass on this information to the students. So, the students who go Russia are taught in the Russian language for the last 3 years of the MBBS course. This affects the understanding of the students and they fail to grasp the information properly.
Similarly, medical universities in Ukraine have a low educational standard. Professors of the Universities ask for money from the students to pass them to the next semester. This allows for students to clear their exams without studying. Students who can afford to pay to the professors clear their exams without studying. Hence, this kills the motivation to study in the students.
There is also tension between Russia and Ukraine making the locations unfit and unsafe for students. Unless the problems amongst Russia and Ukraine gets resolved, we advise Indian students to not risk by proceeding with medical studies over there.
Conclusion: Georgia is a much better destination for MBBS studies. The educational quality in Georgia is unmatched by the likes of Russia and Ukraine. In fact, after China, Georgia is the 2nd best destination to study MBBS.
FAQs About MBBS Study in Georgia
What is the Medium of Instruction in Georgia?
English is the medium of instruction in educational institutes which invite students from outside of Georgia. For other institutions, Georgian, Russian and English are all used in Georgia. So, if you apply from India, your course will be in 100% English medium (assured in the universities which we promote).
How Safe is it to Study & Live in Georgia?
Georgia is a very safe country with negligible crime rate. In fact, according to the Georgian Journal, Numbeo ranked Georgia at number 3 in its list of the safest countries in the world.
Georgia is ranked at 85th spot as per the Global Peace Index. Whereas USA and India rank 103 and 141 respectively according to the Global Peace Index.
People of Georgia have a very friendly nature and they happily accept religious and cultural diversities. You will have a very nice and wonderful stay in Georgia during your study.
Is MBBS from Georgia valid in India?
Yes, MBBS from Georgia is 100% valid in India if you enroll in MCI approved medical universities in Georgia. If you take admission in a university which is not in the MCI’s list, then you might have problems later on. Here are 2 requirements which you need to complete to start practicing in India as a registered medical doctor.
- Complete 1 year internship within India.
- Clear the MCI’s NEXT exam after arriving in India and start practicing.
What are the Future Prospects after Completing MBBS in Georgia?
Completing your degree successfully in Georgia opens up a lot of career options. You can either return back to India and clear the MCI exam (which is compulsory for both Indian & abroad pass-outs) or you can start working in Georgia itself. You can also move to some other European country to pursue further studies or start practicing as a medical doctor.
- Students can practice as a doctor in any country of the European Union
- Students can pursue their MD/MS (masters degree) from Germany with following benefits – No tuition fees and a handsome stipend (upto 4000 Euros per month)
- Students can come to India and appear in the NEXT (National Exit Test) organized by the MCI